Friday, June 26, 2009

Response to Tonya week # 6-

I never saw the movie and only skimmed through part of the book. As I recall most of the letters from real women were very desperate and pathetic. They all were obsessed with boys who did not like them, no matter what they did to win the boys over. The author’s advice was good but maybe the movie wasn’t so far off from the book. I remember just being embarrassed for some of the women and cringe when I read their letters because they sounded so weak and were so clueless. From what you’ve said I feel that the movie was trying to depict what not to do with men in a humorous way. I hope it ended well and empowered women but unfortunately for entertainment value I’m sure the writers took the easy way out and hit on every social stereotype they could dig up about women. Women are portrayed poorly in movies sometimes but then again they also have strong roles that society respects. But I don’t like anything that makes women feel the need to be in a relationship considering how unforgiving our society can be to single women.



Response to Joan week # 6-

I agree that society is slowly coming around, but you don’t actually know if either couples of men were in fact heterosexual, they could be gay. I usually see men out together eating but it’s usually during the day, and almost always appears to be business related. If guys are hanging out at the movies together I have noticed it is usually a large group of them and they are usually under the age of 25. Society is becoming more accepting of gay men and women but gender roles are still pretty prevalent. People like labels: gay, straight, boy, girl, they want you to pick a side and stay there.

Response to Robin week # 6-

I think I would feel exactly the same way if I were in your position because you’re her mother and obviously you love her very much, but as an outsider I can see how his actions may have been innocent so to speak. Your daughter told you that she wanted to wait but she may have told her husband something different or not even discussed it at all. And to him maybe he thinks the timing seems perfect but then again I don’t think men will ever fully understand pregnancy because they don’t physically experience it. It’s emotional and messes with your hormones and I’m sure the last thing your daughter needs while in the pits of stressful unemployment is to get pregnant. But he really should be more sensitive and take your daughters feelings and needs into consideration.

Response Kesha to week # 6-

I think the reasons your cousins children wanted to dance were very honorable and supported their education but I feel as thought they should have picked different part time careers. I don’t know much about dancing but I will assume that you make more than you could waiting tables and I’m sure that was the appeal to them. I don’t think that being an exotic dancer is different for a man in society’s eyes then for a woman. As for it being more dangerous for a woman I may have to agree, not that men are invincible but even size wise women are smaller than men. And I worry about the character of men who visit clubs like that in the first place, women as well but I feel they are less of a threat to men. They can become infatuated but cannot rape a man it’s physically impossible. But women can be raped and being a dancer is so sexual by nature that it can be dangerous for a girl to be in that position.

No comments:

Post a Comment