Friday, June 5, 2009

week # 3

Magazines geared toward women are ultimately working against women and their self image. Cosmopolitan, Allure, Glamour and others just like these are publications written to let women know what is considered beautiful in our society. But have you ever read the titles on the cover??? They are ridiculous, “101 ways to keep him satisfied,” “Get a flat tummy in two weeks,” “Things he would secretly Love you to do to him,” “Fashions that make anyone look 10 pounds slimmer.” They are entirely about sex, fashion, and thinness- as if these are the only things that will make you happy in life. I am all for silly magazines, But these perpetuate negative stereotypes about females that make the average women feel inadequate. They portray unrealistic women with standards that do not represent the population but the culture, and that seems unbalanced. I don’t understand why they are so popular when it offers bad advice with little to no substance. Even for entertainment I don’t get the appeal because when I'm done flipping through one I feel the need to diet and create a “love trap” so my man will still love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment