Friday, June 19, 2009

Week 5 response to Robin

I guess the real issue is weather or not this situation is actually a problem, books are gender based, especially for children. Just like girls identify with female role models boys identify with men, boys may be more “feminine” in gender but I am not sure that colors have anything to do with learning. I want to know what books were being provided- the book can be about a boy or a girl and teach a lesson or offer valuable experiences in a non sexist way- which I think is a good thing. Do you know that book “everybody poops” great book!! Haahaha..It is for a younger audience but it comes in a boy version and a girl version on purpose. As a child it is important for them to relate to a character or person in a story/book so they, I agree with you that as they get older boys and girls should definitely have a variety of gendered books because they are confident in their sex (male/female) even if they are still finding out their gender. And I know those trainings you are referring to- the ones that tell educators to call snowmen “snow people” and fire men “fire safety professionals” and what not. But I always thought that was to include both sexes??

1 comment:

  1. Heather,

    You are right some of those seminars are to make us conscious of not stereotyping roles. My problem was that these ESL teachers were selecting books for children who are learning the English language by level and by the gender of the child; when the goal should be can this child read this book, not is it about a girlie thing for a boy.

    ReplyDelete